Tuesday, June 1, 2021

I Bonds

While most people are familiar with EE savings bonds, fewer are familiar with I bonds. A recent article in the Wall Street Journal highlights I bonds and the advantages of these bonds. One major advantage is that I bonds are yielding an currently very high interest rate of 3.54 percent. This is impressive when you consider the bonds are virtually risk-free. By way of comparison, 30-year Treasury bonds are yielding about 2.25 percent. I bond yields are based on the inflation rate and can change every six months. You cannot redeem I bonds for 12 months, and if you redeem within five years, you pay a penalty of the last three months of interest. You can buy electronic I bonds at www.treasurydirect.gov in any amount from $25 to $10,000, or paper I bonds in $50, $100, $200, $500, or $1,000 as a tax refund. One way to tell that I bonds are good investments is that the government caps the annual electronic purchase at $10,000 per individual, with another $5,000 possible through the tax refund purchase.